Tuesday, November 15, 2011

In the process of learning RTI, I have begun to learn how to use The Phonological Awareness Screener for Intervention™ (PASI™) and Phonics Screener for Intervention™ (PSI™) .  These two diagnostic screeners pinpoint specific skill deficits and facilitate teachers’ grouping of students for focused intervention based on the screener results..  I have been practicing giving these tests to the students in my classroom with some eye openings results. 

Yesterday I gave the PASI to one of my 3rd grade students who has many decoding skills but a very low fluency rate of 25 WPM.  I discovered she is not able to remember a three word phrase and repeat it back to me with any accuracy.  She is able to repeat and retain two word phrases but not three words or more.  She also has difficulties in substituting one letter or syllable in a word for another letter or syllable.   For example say cupcake.  Change cup to pan.  What's the new word?  She said cuppan.   Finally she is struggling with segmentation.  She is able to do some basic segmenting such as /m/ /a/  /p/ for map but she is not able to segment blends at the beginning or end of a word.  These are skills that should be mastered in kindergarten, first grade at the latest.  

I love that I can take these screeners and pinpoint exactly where I need to step in and add focused instruction to help her become a more fluent reader. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this screener! I wish that it was available when my son was in elementary school. He probably would have given you the same answer as the girl gave you. I love the detailed information you are sharing. I am learning a lot about RTI. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete